My Favorite List of Vegetables
with some Easy Vegetable Recipes
Here you will find my favorite list of vegetables with some easy
vegetable recipe side dishes, main dishes and appetizers as well as
advice on how to cook vegetables and freezing vegetables.
The recipes here are mostly ones which are native in Croatia, so be prepared for some of grandma's home cooking.
Out of all food, vegetables are used the most in the Mediterranean diet.
It is worth
Mediterranean diet is based on simplicity.
Here are some tips for vegetables to retain all the vitamins and minerals:
- Whenever you can, use raw vegetables (of course, only the ones that can be eaten raw).
Only raw vegetables will retain all the nutritional characteristics.
There is an exception -- carrots have slightly increased nutritional value after cooking.
- Try to use as many types of vegetables - leaf vegetables, root
vegetables, bulb vegetables, etc. Green, leafy vegetables absorb energy
from the sun thus naturally providing resistance to diseases. They play a
major role in protecting our health.
- When you cook vegetables, do not pour out excess water. Instead, use it as an addition to soups, sauces, etc.
- Vegetables should be cooked in a covered pot, and salted near the end of cooking (if you want them to retain the natural color).
- Root vegetables retain the most useful components if cooked
with their peel left on (the most useful components are located below
the peel), and peeled after cooking.
- Since cooking usually begins with frying a chopped onion,
we have to be careful not to burn it too much (nothing is worse than
Fry it just until it gets soft.
- Do not cook with roux whenever you can. Fried flour is harmful to your body and difficult to digest.
- Season the vegetables with
olive oil and other monounsaturated fats.
Whenever possible, use olive oil.
If you only use olive oil, you have already made a big step toward a healthier life.
In the Mediterranean diet leafy vegetables are mostly eaten cooked,
oiled with olive oil and salted to taste. You can add chopped garlic in
it and stir well. Voilà! You have a perfect side dish.
I personally think this is the healthiest and easiest way to prepare
- Raw vegetable salads should use an abundant amount of olive oil because olive oil will help in its digestion.
- Use spices with vegetables, aromatic herbs according to
your taste. Not only will you improve the taste of the dishes, but herbs
have also healing effects
(for more info, see Mediterranean natural healing herbs page).
- Make juices out of raw vegetables: carrots, tomatoes,
cabbage or beetroot. This is especially useful for people with sensitive
- If you use frozen vegetables do not thaw it, but immediately put them into hot water, or into a pan with hot oil.
There's an old rule on how to cook vegetables:
The vegetables that grow underground should be put in cold water.
The ones that grow above the ground should be put in boiling water.
My list of vegetables with some favorite recipes:
Swiss chard is a vegetable of the Mediterranean and one of the best vegetables for dieting...
Kale is used in stews, rolls, and can be baked or cooked...
Tomato Mozzarella Salad, Tomato Cucumber Salad, Stuffed Tomatoes, Tomato Bruschetta Recipe...
Broccoli Salad Recipe, Broccoli Soup Recipe, Broccoli and Cheese Casserole..
How to Cook Asparagus
Tasty recipes for asparagus - asparagus frittata, asparagus soup recipe, asparagus casserole, asparagus risotto ..
Try my favorite pea recipes - rice and peas and pea soup..
Please note: This list of vegetables, together with some tasty and easy Mediterranean diet recipes, will be expanded over time.
You might also like:
How to Make Strudel Dough
Strudel is a type of pastry made of a very thin dough that includes a filling.
There are numerous variations of fillings, so you can be really creative.
Return from My List of Vegetables to Mediterranean Diet Home Page